After hundreds of one-on-one discussions and various focus groups across the province, many have stated that they had multiple episodes of anxiety and even fear about what to expect in a new Canadian environment. It is common to have anxiety when uncertainty is high. Thus, the primary focus is on decreasing the uncertainty. This will be accomplished by providing mentors with training and knowledge which will enable them assist mentees to overcome the situations that they regularly face. One philosopher once said, “People are not disturbed by events but by the view they hold about them” (Epictetus, Roman philosopher, 75 AD). Therefore, helping our mentees to view the transition as progress in life rather than an obstacle is a key element.
We believe that all people should have the means to fulfill the basic human needs related to belonging. Our program is meant to reduce the feelings of anxiety and alienation that both newcomers and second generation immigrants may experience during day to day life in Canada. We also hope to ensure that these people are aware of their rights under Canadian law during troubling times. No person should have to fear tomorrow and with STOP they will not have to.
There are 4 main reasons for doing this:
- To be proactive in alleviating the “new world anxiety” many are currently facing
- To help prevent the short and long term impact on the attitudes, feelings, and behaviours of individuals when they do not feel a sense of belonging in society
- To work collaboratively with schools, parents, community members, businesses, agencies, concerned individuals, and recognized agents of change towards a safer, happier, and more inclusive Calgary.
- To mobilize, motivate, educate, and inspire other communities (racial, ethnic, religious, special interest etc.) to take a more active and meaningful role in the lives of the marginalized.
If you are interested in being a mentor, register here:
If you are need a mentor, register here:
- If you are interested in supporting our program, please contact us at the above listed contact information. There are several ways to get involved:
- Provide a venue for our events
- Sponsorship (volunteers, food, games, activities, venues, prizes)
- Donations via www.ownitcanada.org/donate-now/
- Promoting and spreading the word!